Are you looking for parents to adopt your baby? We can help. I’m an adoption attorney and a birth mother, and I know what you are going through. You don’t have to worry about whether you are choosing the right parents when you work with me. I know all of my adoptive parents really well. They have all have been fingerprinted, background checked, medically cleared and are financially stable. I only work with adoptive parents that I would be comfortable placing a baby with. If you are looking for parents to adopt your baby, here’s how I can help.
Choose parents that will love any baby of any race, gender, or medical condition
The parents I work with are excited to welcome and love any child of any race, gender or medical condition. I think it’s really important to choose adoptive parents who are open like this. Here’s why:
- Parents who don’t want a baby of a different race may not be fully educated about adoption.
- You can’t choose the gender of biological children and adoption shouldn’t be any different.
- Biological parents can’t control medical conditions of biological children.
I believe that parents who will love any child are the best possible parents. They know that life is unpredictable and that people are not perfect. They want to be parents and a family in whatever form that takes. This includes parenting a child of any gender, race or with a medical condition. When you are looking for parents to adopt your baby, any of the amazing parents I work with will be a great option for you.
Find parents who want the same type of adoption you want, open or semi-open or closed
The parents I work with are all educated about open and closed adoption. While each would love an open adoption, they are also respectful of what an expectant mother wants. If you don’t want a fully open adoption, the parents I work with are happy to do the adoption you’re most comfortable with. Here is the definition of each type of adoption:
- Open adoption: you have contact with the parents before and after the baby is born. This can include phone calls, letters, Skype visits and in-person visits.
- Semi-open adoption: you have some contact with the adoptive parents and your child, usually through a third person attorney, like me, or adoption agency.
- Closed adoption: there is not contact with the parents before or after the baby is born.
Some women don’t know if they want an open or closed adoption. In fact, many who think they want closed will decide the want open or semi-open once they learn more about the process. When you work with me you don’t have decide right away and you can always change your mind and make a close adoption open or semi-open. When you are looking for parents to adopt your baby, I think it’s important to choose from my adoptive parents. They are really flexible about open, semi-open and closed adoption.
Parents who are educated on all aspects of adoption make the best adoptive parents
It’s really important for adoptive parents to learn about adoption, what it means to raise an adoptee, and what it means to have biological parents involved, if you want, in their child’s life. The parents I work with have been educated about all aspects of adoption. If you’re looking for parents to adopt your baby, I think it’s important that they have been education on the following issues:
- Transracial adoption and raising a child of a different race
- How to talk with your adopted child about adoption and the biological family
- Open and closed adoption and the pros and cons of each
- Mental health issues, medical conditions, and drug and alcohol use during pregnancy
Once the parents have this education, they can decide if adoption is right for them. Just as adoption isn’t always the best option for an expectant mother, it is also true that adoption may not be the best option for parents wanting a family.
Trust your instincts
Some women are surprised to find that the perfect family is the first family they considered. Sometimes they know by looking at just one photo or reading just one letter. There is just something about the parents that jumps out at her. They trust their instincts and their heart, and as they continue to get to know the parents, the mother comes to realize they really are a perfect fit. When you are looking for parents to adopt your baby, don’t be afraid to trust your instincts. Frequently we know what we need to know about people in the first few moments we meet them. The same can be true with adoptive parents.